Thursday 11 August 2016

Jelly Roll Team Profile - Joe Holloway



I grew up in a musical household, in the West part of Cornwall, in the UK. My dad had an upright piano, and an old nylon-string guitar that I would attempt to get my tiny arms around until I was old enough to start having real lessons at age 8. I started learning classical guitar, and then later switched to electric when I started to develop a taste for modern pop punk bands like Green Day and Blink-182. Through school and college from the age of 14, I played in several different heavy rock bands, performing locally at festivals and in bars until I moved away to Manchester to attend university.

I completed a B.A. in Popular Music in 2014, before moving to Hamburg. Musically, it was an eye-opening experience, as a big part of my course was continuously working with other musicians in different groups, and experimenting with all kinds of genres. I had the opportunity of moving from guitar to bass and drums with different groups, and so was able to get a feel for what it takes to work in a band.

I also became interested in the recording process, and for my course's final project, I chose to write, record, mix and perform all parts of an album, as well as write a report explaining every productive and creative decision I made. Through this process, I gained a lot of experience in mixing and sound engineering, as well as in using recording software such as Logic Pro X.

Since moving to Hamburg, I've become involved with various music projects, The Jelly Roll Factory being one, and have also continued to pursue my own solo projects. I met my friends on the JRF team through working at Hamburg School of English, and I'm very excited to see what we can achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment